Monday, July 06, 2009

Why I don't like being CCed

A few days ago, I received an e-mail blast from a local photographer. I'd never met this dude before, but I guess I was on his contact list because I work at CP. The purpose of the message was to announce that he was heading abroad, and he wanted to let people know that he'd be posting travel shots on his blog.

Since I didn't know the guy, I disregarded it.

Yesterday, I got this reply-all:

Dear [x],

Last September I answered an ad you placed on craig's list. You had agreed to take professional quality photos of my family at my house in early October. My children and grandchildren were coming to visit. My daughter and her family were coming from Alaska and my son and his wife and daughter were coming from Virginia. We spoke many times leading up to the date you were supposed to come to my house. I explained at that time this was the first time in 10 years that our whole family would be together and it would probably be several years before we would all be together again.

At that time you seemed to understand how important it was to me that I get this family picture. You assured me many times you would be there. On the appointed morning you did not show up. I called you and the first time you answered your phone and then hung up. It sounded like I woke you up.You never picked up your phone after that. Luckily, we were able to make an appointment that day to get a professional picture at the local mall, although we would have preferred the backyard pictures we had arranged with you..

I say luckily because my granddaughter died suddenly on Dec. 1, 2008. The date of our picture was the last time I saw her. Please keep in mind when you make a commitment to someone it is important to keep it, as it has consequences reaching more people than you can imagine. Although I do wish you have a good time in [y], please remove me from your e-mail list.

I'm not sure if this person meant to send this e-mail to the 700-some-odd recipients of the photographer's initial blast, but I can say, with absolute certainty, that I now think that this photographer, whom I have never met, is a total asshole. Thanks, CCing!

No comments: