Sunday, December 11, 2005

Gettin' change like a parking meter


R.I.P. Richard Pryor

Finally get a chance to update after a hellish week of work. Wrote a massve amount of stuff, including a paper on
South Park and a 25-page TV script. I can assure you that the latter wasn't good at all, as one of the recurring motifs in it was the main character's imaginary conversations with Reginald Punnett, developer of the square that bears his name. What the shit was I thinking? Wine's gonna kill it.

Eh, don't attempt to have
phone sex with the girlfriend while she's shopping. Just sayin'.

Extremely amused by this MTV bit where
Kanye flips shit about nothing in particular:

"If I don't win Album of the Year, I'm gonna really have a problem with that," said West. "I can never talk myself out of [winning], you know why? Because I put in the work. I don't care if I jumped up and down right now on the couch like Tom Cruise. I don't care what I do, I don't care how much I stunt — you can never take away from the amount of work I put into it. So I don't wanna hear all of that politically correct stuff. You put the camera in front of me, I'm gonna tell you like this. I worked hard to get here. I put my love, I put my heart, I put my money [into Late Registration]. I'm $600,000 in the hole right now on that album and you tell me about being politically incorrect?"

Do you really think you deserve AOTY just because you worked hard? You're supposed to work hard at what you do, no? I work hard at what I do, but I don't think that automatically secures me the "short-form restaurant column writer of the year" prize or anything. I'm sure you and Jon put in a lot of hours into LR, and it's a fucking great record. I my opinion, it could very well be album o' the. But suggesting that you deserve the distinction just because you worked hard on something (or, just because a person who lost his/her abuela is touched by "Roses") is rather ridiculous. That's relying on the assumptions that no one else in music works hard, and/or that no one else in music creates art that fans can relate to. From a broader perspective, while I'm sure making music is both physically and creatively taxing, are you really working hard hard? Talk to me when you've got the black lung. C'mon, homey, you're major majorer more major (?) than that.

Bol with some interesting bits on Blackface Jesus from what he calls "The Axis of PC." Ha. Here's BFJ's response.

I'm sure
this has been there and back again, but I love it and figured it'd be worth posting. And oh, apparently Jim Jones is going to be at the Crocodile Rock Cafe (?!!?!) on the 30th. Apparently, Capo status gets you shows in Allentown. DIP SET!

Officially doing it over at
Rockpile, which is exciting. Got two pieces coming up--Futureheads and DFA '79. Gyeah.

O-Dub had this post up that brought me back to my childhood (not because it's Asian, but because it's nerdy). Oriental Adventures? Shit. I bet if I dug long enough back home I could still find my character sheets and whatever-sided dice. What a fucking dork (me). I'm not going to lie--when I was a kid, I played Dungeons & Dragons like it was my job. I'm not proud of it, but I'm man enough to admit it. I feel like I played it a bit earlier than most, however (not that that makes it any cooler); I started in like third grade maybe and completely lost interest by fifth or so. I would like to lie and say that this suggests that I was a precocious youth, but it really just suggests that I was an "indoor kid." Very, very indoor.

Anyway, my parents were always wary of my D&D playing, and thought it was extremely stupid. I remember them telling me how they saw an episode of
Unsolved Mysteries where a bunch of nerds took their game way too seriously and ended up killing each other (with magic?). Looking back on it, I realize that they told me this shit because they didn't want their son to be a complete dork. Thanks, parents--you're the reason why I'm where I'm at today. That's some good English right chair.

Diamond Dallas Page is suing Jay-Z? (via Catchdubs) I find this move ballsy and brillant. DIAMONDCUTTER!

"Don't Gross Out the World." Some of these shits are really interesting. Not that I'm going to be eating with Eskimos anytime soon or anything, but still. Actually, eating with Eskimos more often sounds like a good starter for my New Year's resolutions.

People are bitching about the new
Gmail virus scan? What is there to bitch about? Oh...

The 3 main complaints being aired in Gmail discussion groups are: the virus-scanning feature can't be turned off; Gmail's long-standing virus protection, namely blocking all executable file attachments, remains as it is; and Google is not saying much in terms of which vendor is providing the anti-virus technology.

1. Why the shit would you want to turn it off? The thing seriously takes like (less than) three seconds to scan an attachment. It's helpful. I don't want viruses, you know?

2. If you really need to e-mail an .exe file that bad, just put it in a .zip file. I haven't done it but I'm pretty sure that would work.
3. The day I care about which vendor is providing me with this helpful service is the day I start playing Oriental Adventures again.

You know what I enjoy? Those AIM viruses that send infected links to everyone on your buddy list. I don't actually love the virus itself, but I really like how it reveals who's stalking you online. I've gotten a few completely random virus links from people that I didn't have on my list or whatever. I see you, stalkies. Let's just hope I don't get one of these infections; that would blow my cover as most covert e-stalker of the young century.


Archive of
dumb sports quotes (thanks Emynd). One of my favorites: "Like they say, it an't over 'til the fat guy swings." - Darren Daulton on John Kruk. How is that dumb? I find that witty as fuck.

3 comments:

kibby said...

HAHA!! the phone sex article was hilarious. I miss you and michelle so much! what are you guys doing this weekend??

PatH said...

I think I was worse than you. I was the kid who always wanted to play D&D and never could find anyone to play with.

Drew said...

Kib:

Thanks! We definitely need to chill soon. I called you the other day to say what's up but I got that weird bilingual voice mailbox message...what the hell is that?

Phogan:

Man, we need to have a D&D throwback night down in the office. Or, not.