Saturday, October 01, 2005

Gold star for robot boy


Who's down? My treat!

Went to the Blue Horseshoe last night for the Nothing Fancy V2 release party. Was a great, slightly drunk time with good peoples, but unfortunately there were some sound/speaker issues that prevented Emynd and his dude Bo Bliz from spinning anything. Boo! You'll get 'em next time. Finally got that new Reef too, so look for a OKP review sometime this week.

I couldn't make it out to the Daggers of Throwing my roommate's band's show on Friday, but I thought I would share the dope flier. Looks like something Edward Gorey drew when he was five.

Someone get me an advance of this for Rosh Hashanah.

Funny shit about rappers in film. Dude on Snoop in Bones: "Snoop as a ghostly pimp? Nigga please. The scariest Snoop has ever appeared on the big screen would have to be as the role of "Rodney" in Baby Boy. He looked like a damn rotisserie chicken in a wife beater." Ha! I would have to say my favorite MCs-in-a-movie shit (other than Disorderlies, of course) would have to be Belly (check the dude cutting on T-Boz here too). Like he said, it's not like Nas and X should've won Oscars for this shit or anything, but they gave performances that were straight alright, far better than I initially expected. X is still insane though.

The Smoking Gun recently posted the employee handbook for Hooters. Their "standards" kill me:

Customers can go to many places for wings and beer, but it is our Hooters girl who make our concept unique. Hooters offers its customers the look of the "All American cheerleader, Surfer, Girl Next Door." The essence of the Hooters concept is entertainment through female sex appeal, of which the LOOK is a key part. When you are in the Hooter Girl Uniform you are literally playing a role; having been cast for that role, you must comply with the Image and Grooming standards that the role requires.

Hair is to be styled at all times. No ponytails or pigtails are to be worn. The image to be projected is one of glamour. No bizarre hair cuts, styles, or colors are acceptable. No hats or headbands are to be worn. No large hair clips or scrunchies.

- Does Hooters management really consider 20-something girls in tank tops and unflattering polyester shorts a "unique concept"? Shit's about as unique as "Yuengs and Wings" at your local dive. "Unique" would be transsexual waiters waitresses dressed like PECO employees serving patrons skirt steaks marinated in human blood and absinthe.

- No offense to anyone who's worked at Hooters, but I've never once seen any waitress evoke thoughts of a cheerleader or surfer in the 2-3 times I've eaten there. Girl next door, perhaps, especially considering that some of the hoes that live on my street could very well be Hooters employees, but SURFER? The fuck? It's not like these jawns are sun-damaged and are trouncing around in board shorts and Rainbow sandals.

- "The image to be projected is one of glamour." I'm supposed to think Hooters girls are glamorous (and not just your run-of-the-mill glamor, but classy, English-style-spelling glamour)?

- Kudos to corporate for banning scrunchies and large hair clips. That shit looks stupid. Michelle vehemently opposes scrunchy use, and I agree, lest I be beaten.

Catchdubs had this I Hate Weed Love Songs article posted a few days ago. Hilarious.


My dude Dann Bernardo from NYC sent me this link. I was initially excited because I thought he had started a website/blog, but turns out it's just some fucking nuts martial artist/meditation guru/psycho hippie with the same name. The "About Me" section is the best, as it outlines his expertise with Korean Tang Soo Do Moo Duk Kwan (?!) and his spiritual history (
"I began showing signs of ESP at a young age. When I was in 6th grade, I saw my main spirit guide for the first time. A large pure white wolf. It shocked me at first, but I was never afraid of it. Over the next couple of years, more wolves would come totalling up to 6 adults, and one pup..."). Holy shit.

Shameless links to my
mixpick and Feeding Frenzy pieces from the latest CP. Shame, shame!

From
Adam via Finnegan: Philly's been named the "Next Great City" by National Geographic Traveler. I'm guessing this is comparable to being named best college running back by Sports Illustrated for Kids. They also called Old City "the liveliest urban neighborhood between SoHo in New York and SoBe in Miami." I'm thinking they just wrote that to use those tired abbreviations; thankfully, they didn't stretch shit by calling it OlCi. Also, the EIC says "Philly has a little bit of an underdog sense of itself and it doesn't even realize how great it is."

Yes, however cliche it may be these days, Philly does have an
underdog mentality. But it's ridiculous to suggest that Philly residents don't even realize how great the city is. I think I'm a bit more aware of this as a non-native, but Philly cats are fucking obsessed with the area (which isn't a bad thing). If you took the average resident's commentaries at face value, you would think the city is the greatest metropolis since Ancient Rome or some shit. I'm not hating- I love it here, but it's a stretch to suggest that Philadelphians are so humble and aloof that being called the "Next Great City" comes as an absolute shock. These dudes obviously didn't interview any Eagles fans.

I went over to
Space 1026 today to follow a possible story on this exhibit; unfortunately, it was taken down a few days ago. I'm on the lookout for their next event, though: two artists from Cincinnati are constructing an "Everest" at the studio (I don't know what this means, but it was all they told me) and people can get their photo taken in front of it. I'm thinking of pulling a Edmund Hillary and scaling that shit. Hopefully, it's sturdier material than papier mache and it will support my girth.

2 comments:

kibby said...

Drew, the learning to love you more exhibit was very cool. Too bad you missed it loser. SIKE! But it was very neat. I'm sure that the "Everest" will be, um, pretty cool too? You should write an article about Nothing Fancy, Drew. Now that would be a good idea. Also, on Sunday the 9th we're going to 6 flags. it's gonna be awesome, you and michelle should come with us.

Drew said...

I'll look into the Nothing Fancy thing. Also, I'll try and figure out if I can come around for your Six Flags excursion. I'm hoarding Coke cans as we speak.