Friday, September 02, 2005

Damn them new loafers hurt my pocket

I wish I actually had new loafers. Shit would be hot.

So I like that Kanye "Touch the Sky" a whole lot. Just Blaze does good with the Curtis Mayfield sample, like Kanye's verse and the mysterious
Lupe Fiasco sounds good too (doesn't dude look a little like Flex Alexander with no hair?). Even if you don't think they look alike (which, now that I think about it, they don't really), you must have appreciation for that windsurfing picture. For some reason, windsurfing always makes me think of this book I read when I was little; it was an Encyclopedia Brown rip-off where the guy had blackish-blueish hair and glasses, and he deduced that a guy was a windsurfer because of his cut lower body and callouses on his hand, which even in my young age I found to be somewhat homoerotic on the detective's part. Anyone know what that book series is called? I realize that I provided pretty much no context clues whatsoever, but if it happens to inspire some divine trivial epiphany, let me know. Uhh also I'm having a vague vision of this kid maybe appearing in Sports Illustrated for Kids. More useless memories from me later.

Someone wrote up American Apparel in the Collegian this week. Although the article was very well-written and painted the company to be conscious and altruistic, I kinda got a weird vibe from their website. Whenever I hear about them the first thing that comes up is inevitably the fact that they don't use sweatshop labor to produce their clothes. This is fine, but of course they drive up the cost of their very plain t-shirts (which look no different from a typical Hanes tee or something). If people are willing to pay more for non-sweatshopped products on some personal politics shit, more power to you. I just don't think you should consider yourself some sort of fair trade pioneer just because you contributed a sizeable chunk of cash to this guy's $150 million company. Just seems like a scuzzbag (even though the female writer seemed to be quite taken by the fact that the dude wanted to jazz off in front of her...the fuck?). Choice cuts:

Merrily Lupo, a designer, has worked with him for over five years and says it's more like a family business with 1,500 employees. "You can ask him if you can borrow money and he'll usually do it," she says. "If American Apparel is a cult, then democracy is a cult. It's a project. It's just an art project."


Merrily, it's okay to admit that you work for a successful company (a family business with 1500 employees? Please). Not sure if you got the press release, but selling out is the new Fugazi being indie. It's not like The Shins are going to come over and smash your Pavement CDs with their exclusive Nike Dunks for getting a hot paycheck every two weeks. Enjoy yourself, will you?

"Masturbation in front of women is underrated," Dov explains to me later over the phone. "It's much easier on the woman. She gets to watch, it's a sensual experience that doesn't involve a man violating a woman, yet once the man has his release, it's over and you can talk to the guy." And, Iris adds on another day, "I think it's really healthy to have an orgasm four times a day. It's got to be great for business."

Unfortunately, I'm not a woman so I can't really comment on the assertion that it's "much easier for the woman" to rub one out while you're having a conversation. Perhaps I'm a bit OG old-fashioned, but I always preferred just chatting or getting smoothies to break the ice. Furthermore, I feel like this guy contends that men are unapproachable and hard to interact with if they haven't gotten their rocks off. Weirdo.

"All these older businesspeople, for the most part, are playing the Wizard of Oz," he says. "We don't really know who Bill Gates is; we don't know what turns Bush's crank. Is he into bestiality or what? Because it can't just be the guy's playing to God."

What?

In a time when the FCC and conservative corporate powers are arbitrarily censoring basic civil liberties, Dov's candor is refreshing. And these women who work with him get it. "You can thank me and Iris and Alex," Dov says of his enlightened company vision. "We all have our fucking dick in it. It's not just one cock."

You know when a
weird actor will come up several times in a day and you begin to question whether or not it's a mere coincidence? Yeah, this is just like that, except with homoeroticism (see earlier paragraph).

My "Fundamentals of Journalism" class seems like it's going to be a little easy. The assignments are just writing various stories and stuff which occupies most of my time anyway. I think I'll just hand in shit I do for the
Collegian and whatnot, kill lots of birds. Lots of birds.

If you want to borrow the Beanie Sigel CD from me want to hang out and miss me, sorry. I'll be in Maryland this weekend, maybe eating crabs but definitely jousting. It's the
state sport. If you're in the Old Line State, call me.

The other day at City Paper I talked to a lady from a new bar opening in Old City. It quite possibly has the best bar name ever. Apparently the jukebox is all rockabilly and drinks (beer in cans only) all cost in the range of $3-$5. That's fucking great. You can sign up on there if you want to come to the opening night and I think you get open bar. Beautiful. Who wants to go? Also, the lil' press release/info sheet I read said something like "Gravel in your stomach and grit in your eye!" when describing the atmosphere, which sounds good to me. Unfortunately, they won't have any actual rockabilly bands playing inside one of those mesh cages to protect themselves from projectile bottles like in Roadhouse. That's okay though, can't expect too too much.

This Hurricane Katrina black people looting vs. white people "finding" issue is being addressed by blogs all over the place. From Wild Packs, BC with some signature funny and Shrimp fam with photographic evidence. I for one think is quite effed, but I'm not sure that this particular case is indicative of a mass media trend as much as it reflects the racist biases of a small group (or maybe even one person) of caption writers. Or maybe this whole thing is just a misunderstanding (who knows). Today a classmate was saying she watched Fox News and was very apprehensive about stating this; the teacher reassured her that it was okay. I agreed to myself; look, just because I don't get my news from "America's Watchdog" doesn't mean I'm going to look down my nose at you because you do. That's pompous bullshit, in my opinion. Do what you want.

I think "Feeding Frenzy" is the most essential CP column ever, so much so that its inclusion in the web edition might rock the faces of people so hard they'd give up reading the paper altogether. Thank god they didn't. Just kidding. In unrelated news, this is a really interesting article.

Finally, I don't think liking sports qualifies you to be a sports commentator (second paragraph down). I love sports, but you do not want me in the booth talking shit. I'm not very articulate and I'd probably curse way too much. Dude should stick to covering Berlin's "Take My Breath Away" with his buxom wifey.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, I was just surfing and found you! If you are interested in Adult Fun, go see my site, I must warn you it has adult content ##phonesex## related site. It is all adult so only for the broadminded and over 18 only. Mega Miss.

losnome squrill said...

the above comment is awesome.

Anonymous said...

i wish i could claim credit for that... -JELONE!

Drew said...

Uhh, thanks, Mega Miss. Whore.